Thursday, February 23, 2006

Favorite movie of last year

Ok, so my favoorite movie from last year came out on DVD yesterday. Yes it was RENT. I'm not afraid to admit it. Despite having come of age (whatever that really means) in the 90's I had never been exposed to RENT. I wasn't about to become interested in a musical in the grunge-filled 90's. It just seemed like that would have been the furthest thing from what I felt at that time. I did sample the music back then and wasn't impressed, especially with voices of the male characters. But after seeing it all acted out I fell in love with it.

I watched the movie and 3 hours of extra features and realized the lipsyncing in parts was really bad. I think the music is still great and I personally still hate most musicals. The unfortunate part is each time I actually find a musical that I like (RENT, Chicago) I go rent others thinking I might actually like musicals but I still haven't found that to be the case. My personal least favorites are Jesus Christ Superstar and Moulin Rouge. They can both go to hell. Here's a list of some of the musicals (movies) I've seen and my grading A-F.

Oklahoma - D , just like living in Oklahoma

South Pacific - C (I saw this like 20 years ago, and can't honestly remember if it's a musical. I just remember I thought it was campy and stupid.)

RENT - A (the best) favorite tunes include Another Day, La Vie Boheme, Light my Candle and Jesse Martin singing I'll Cover You (reprise), makes me cry almost every time I watch it. So uplifting, and I usually don't identify with such a positive message.

Chicago - A (Renee and Catherine so impressed me) favorites Cell Block Tango, All That Jazz, Roxie, and When you're good to mama.

Victor, Victoria - B meh, it was better than I thought it might be.

Jesus Chris Superstar - F, go to hell. I'm not saying jesus should go to hell, just his musical.

Moulin Rouge - F , go to hell twice

Music Man - D ugh, seriously, I saw this when I was like 10, my Mom must have been prepping me to be gay. I think this is the one that has Gary, Indiana in it. Ok my mom lived in Gary for about 6 months and fucking hated it. nuff said.

Mary Poppins - A, Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, a childhood favorite. Spoonful, Chimney sweep song. a Classic

Sound of Music - I've never been able to sit through this in it's entirety. So I give it somewhere between C and F

Phantom of the Opera - D I thought there was potential for a good one here but I ended up hating it. I don't think it's necessary to sing every single word. I've always hated that style. I like musicals that are more in touch with how we relate music to our lives. Breaking into song to express emtions is believable. Singing a conversation isn't believable and makes me cringe

West Side Story - D, talk about campy, I feel pretty, ooh so pretty and GAAAAAYYYYY!~ I prefer gritty Romeo and Juliet. This one reminded me of MIchael Jackson's beat it. Dancing street gangs, ridiculous. Saw it in high school.

Grease - B, John TRavolta, Olivia NEwton John. ok yeah I admit I liked this one a bit. I can't put my finger on why that is. The 50's were so retarded and repressed. and I guess I can understand that. Don't ask why.

Hedwig and the ANgry Inch - B John Cameron Mitchell did a terrific job with this. I felt the movie lacked something, possibly due to budget. Origin of Love and the one about Angry Inch were favorite tunes.

Rocky Horror Picture Show - C Tim Curry is quite funny in parts as Frankenfurter. Susan Sarandon's voice is awful. I do admit this can be a guilty pleasure on occasion. Overall I still give a low rating mostly because the rabid fans of this show give me the creeps a lot of times.

Camp - B some amazing vocal performances here. Especially Sasha Allen. This isn't technically a musical as much as it is a movie about musicals. After hearing "ANd I am telling you I'm not going" , I'm excited to see the movie version of Dreamgirls, (starring Beyonce) currently in production.

I'm trying to remember others I might have seen. But I think that hits most of the memorable ones. Please share your comments and/or suggestions for others that might be worth checking out.

No comments: