Monday, February 19, 2007

Turn & Face the Strange

Hi! Hey! Hello! What's happening?

I haven't blogged in what feels like a decade. To be honest, there isn't much to say. Not true, a lot has happened. My boyfriend, ex-boyfriend, friend, partner, companion-like person, Mike, moved to Colorado on Dec 15th. I miss him a lot, but exchange texts with him pretty much daily. We had a bit of a resurrection, resurgence, restoration, of our relationship around the end of August which continued until he moved. He doesn't go into great detail about our relationship in his blogs and I won't either. But we both decided that his moving would be good for both of us. We're still a bit uncertain what our future might bring, if anything.

I've been organizing my life and making baby steps toward getting into shape and dropping some pounds for a number of reasons. Not only have I just felt very run down but I'm headed down an unhealthy path. Hmm that might sound kind of ominous. What I mean is, healthwise, I don't wanna be 300 pounds and run into all of the medical problems associated with it. And I'm just not physically comfortable with all the extra weight anymore. My Grandma recently discovered she has Type II Diabetes which also runs thick in my Mom's side of the family. Now I won't say that losing weight or getting in shape isn't at least a little about my own vanity. It's very hard to find decent clothes in a bigger size than where I am right now and when I'm in shape I'm more outgoing and feel more confident in myself. So I have physical discomfort (fatigue easy), a family history of diabetes, a clothing dilemma, and want to be a more lively person than I am right now. Sounds like it's time to make some changes.

Lately extra time indoors, and not seeing Mike a few times a week, has created idle hands. So I've been taking a lot of photos & trying to be as creative as possible. I'm a homebody so the pics are not earth shattering work. Most pics are of me or stuff laying around my place. I joined a group on Flickr, called 365 days. The idea is you're supposed to take a self portrait every day for a year. I themed mine "365 Days to a Healthier Me." We'll see how I progress through both the daily photos and with the health and fitness routine I've drawn up. Each photo is tagged with my weight, diet and exercise for that day.

I thought some of you might find my process for creating portraits interesting. So, I've posted a before and after shot below to see how I take a rough image and turn it into a unique finished potrait. Combining the images into one made the finished one (on the right) a bit blurrier than I prefer, but you get the general idea. Before & After

I use a photo editing program called PhotoImpression. It's similar to Photoshop but a cheaper/less advanced version. Camera-wise I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200. I have a big technology wishlist. I would LOVE to get a new PC, mine is going on 6 years old and locks up quite frequently. I'm not even sure what to look for, but I know I want a widescreen flat panel monitor and something with enough RAM to run Photoshop, which my current PC doesn't have. I also want to get a more advanced camera. I have my eyes on a Nikon D50. Digital SLR. It's the number 1 or 2 camera on Flickr right now. My current camera is only 3 megapixels and it shows. Outdoors shots and anything more of a wide shot gets very grainy.

Now I feel like a big geek, but I don't really care. Just thought it'd be nice to share what I have been doing with all of you.

Take care and I hope everyone had a good new year.

-D

No comments: