Monday, January 9, 2006

Brokeback Mountain, movie review.... beware some spoilers

Ok, so I saw Brokeback Mountain last night with 3 friends. The big homo opening weekend, well in the Quad Cities anyway. So let me first start by saying I thought the movie was just OK. I figure I will receive some negative comments about this one, so I'll explain a few things.

I had a problem with the brevity of character development in this movie. These two guys fall in love and have a hidden relationship for around 20 years which in itself is heartbraking. But this movie just lacked the emotion one would expect from a story of such longing. I never got the sense that either of them longed for each while apart. They get married, have families, and continue this relationship as "fishing buddies" Which sounds like a great premise but I wasn't pulled into the emotions these characters would feel. Their initial tryst was so unexpected and bordered on violence. I might be putting myself into the characters too much but after a quick roll in the hay that borders on rape I doubt very much I'm going to fall in love with the guy.

They part ways after that summer and don't see each other again for 4 years. At which time they tear into each like rabid dogs in heat! ?? Why? It just seemed like the director short changed us on HOW these guys fell in love. Too little time was spent on the development of this all consuming love in order to show off-center shots of mountains, sheep and running water. Again this could be my lack of understanding the characters. Possibly this stern cowboy exterior was why less emotion was shown. Could it have been intentional? On their next time together there was a brief bed time together where they talked intimately. I felt that scene could have been included earlier in the movie as it would better illustrate this sense of intimacy they would long for 4 years later. Also since the movie takes place over 20 years I lost track of time. It was so random, back and forth between their lives with family and their times together on the mountain. I mean throwing a moustache on Jake Gyllenhall doesn't make him 20 years older. Give 'em both beer guts and graying hair, that I could believe. At times the acting was good but dialogue seemed so forced. I just didn't get swept up in the story. The one emotion I felt was sadness for Ennis' wife and family.

Ok, so now I'll tell you what things I did like. I liked them making out after not seeing each other 4 years. Rough and tumble, that was very convincing. Almost every scene Michelle Williams was in , was a keeper. Heather Ledger's accent while dead on, was also almost inaudible at times but overall very good job. Jake Gyllenhall was actually more emotionally effective as a guy repeatedly heartbroken by not being able to be with his man exclusively. And the scene where Ennis is anticipating Jack's arrival where he's flipping the lighter and smoking one cig after another was effective.

But overall, I just kept anticipating that I would be more emotionally involved in the story and it would be a tearjerker. It wasn't. As for this hype created around it. Eh, I think anything that pisses off the religious freaks is a plus. And I read today that the movie wasn't shown in Salt Lake City. Anyway, long review short, my recommendation if you're looking for a tearjerker including gay characters this season then watch the movie version of the musical Rent or wait for it to come out on DVD. That made me cry twice. I'm such a girl.



Mama Don't let your Babies grow up to be Cowboys....(in bareback I mean brokeback mountain)

Comment away,

-D

No comments: