Monday, October 24, 2005

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

I read a blog of a new myspace friend of mine tonight and discovered he'd written a blog about losing his partner 9 months ago, killed by a drunk driver. I was a weeping mess at my computer about this man that I don't even know losing the love of his life. And it reminded me of my own loss of a loved one in a similar situation.

Three years ago this Thursday I lost my cousin Jared in a car accident. He was only 20 years old. It devastated my family but has brought us so much closer than we already were. But I'll never forget the tremendous pressure in my chest I felt that morning I was told and the next week. I freak now when I get early morning or middle of the night phone calls. Praying before I answer the phone never to hear news like that again. So many lessons learned through that ordeal. Jared was driving under the influence on that fateful night. I would continue writing but am a bit overcome by my memories of his life and the shock of his death.

Please don't let your friends or family drive drunk. And let the people in your life know that you love them every chance you get.

No comments: